A public square stripped of faith and its expression is one in which virtues such as hope, forgiveness, grace, and mystery will wither.
Faith in Canada 150 exists to celebrate the role of faith in our life together during the anniversary celebrations in 2017.
Faith is a good in our society.
You wouldn’t know it from the headlines today. We have a growing forgetfulness about the contribution of faith to our country, its institutions, and our common life.
For more than 450 years, faith has shaped the human landscape of Canada. It has shaped how we live our lives, how we see our neighbours, how we fulfill our social responsibilities, how we imagine our life together.
Faith has given shape to a country that stands apart in a world deeply scarred by conflict, prejudice, and brutality. This is the story that Faith in Canada 150 will tell. It will nurture a public conversation that will remind us what our country is and why we live the way we do. It will allow us to say, “Here is Canada. Here is why faith matters.”
Faith in Canada 150 is a joyful force for celebrating faith in our past, present and future. Please join Cardus in bringing it forward.
Read our new Faith in Canada 150 Brochure:
In undertaking this adventure, we offer five commitments:
- We will celebrate the role of faith in the formation of our rich and diverse culture.
- We will remind Canadians of the contributions religion has made to our common life.
- We will tell stories from our past that resonate through our present and toward our future.
- We will encourage and inspire the diverse communities of faith to greater participation in and celebration of Canadian life.
- We will help to build a network of leaders across private, public, religious and secular institutions who recognize and seek to nurture the place of faith in our life together.
You can learn about our plans for keeping these commitments by reading our initiatives.